2017 USPTA Awards Program Open for Nominations
February 2017 - USPTA is looking for deserving tennis professionals who are growing the game of tennis as it accepts nominations for the 2017 awards program.
The awards application deadline is April 10. Both online forms and downloadable applications are available at uspta.com/awards. Applications submitted via email must be sent by April 10 at 11:59 p.m., Eastern Time. The entire application and ALL supporting materials must be received on or before the deadline to be considered by the Awards Committee. Applications will not accepted after the deadline. Only electronic applications will be accepted.
USPTA award categories include:
- The George Bacso Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes a member who, over a career, has demonstrated exemplary achievement in areas including contributions to USPTA and USTA; as a teaching professional, player and coach; in education, research and publications; and with other organizations, achievements and contributions.
- The Alex Gordon Award for Professional of the Year recognizes a member who, over a year, has demonstrated exemplary achievement in areas including USPTA, allied organizations, club achievements, career development, volunteerism, coaching achievements and playing achievements.
- USPTA Stars are members who have dedicated many years to volunteering in grassroots tennis. Through initiatives incorporating multicultural and other aspects, they bring the sport and sportsmanship to the players they touch.
- The USPTA Industry Excellence Award is given to teaching professionals who take both an altruistic and entrepreneurial attitude toward their jobs. They build programs that bring tennis to more people and are also successful in growing a tennis business. The recipient of this award will receive a $1,000 grant from the Tennis Industry Association and a Tennis Tutor ball machine from Sports Tutor.
- The Steve Wilkinson College Coach of the Year and the High School Coach of the Year awards recipients are usually selected based on their results as team coaches, however, individual coaches may be considered. The Tim Gullikson Touring Coach of the Year is selected on the basis of his or her work with a playing professional on the ATP World Tour or the WTA Tour and/or touring juniors.
- The George Bacso Tester of the Year award recognizes the USPTA tester who does the most to advance certification opportunities and the certification process.
- The USPTA Lessons for LifeTM Award recognizes USPTA members who have done the most to raise money for charities through tennis events. While the award spotlights individuals who have raised large amounts of money, it also honors those hosting the most creative, original or unique tennis event to raise money for charities.
- The USPTA Diversity Award recognizes USPTA members who have demonstrated an outstanding ability to unite diverse populations within their community through tennis.
- The USPTA U30 Award recognizes a USPTA member under the age of 30 who, through their tennis-teaching and volunteer spirit, has increased opportunities for others to participate in tennis. This member exemplifies and emphasizes individual achievement and sportsmanship along with teaching the physical attributes of the sport.
- The only USPTA award available to nonmembers is for Manager of the Year, Large and Small Facility. Applicants/nominees must be the general manager (in function, if not in title) of a club or tennis facility.
Nominations for the above awards may be submitted by a USPTA division or a certified USPTA member in good standing, as long as an official application form is used. Member self-nominations are accepted.
Recipients will be recognized during the USPTA World Conference, Oct. 10-15, at the Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld®. Since changes have been made to some individual categories, as well as Division of the Year criteria, please be sure to read the general rules and requirements for each award carefully. Also there are changes to the awards format and presentation at the conference, so please note that while all awards will be announced in writing at the conference, not all awards may be presented formally. For more information, contact email@example.com.